Veteran Services

Veteran Services

Fremont Township has many programs for veterans which are listed below.

Keep in mind that veterans who are homeowners may also be entitled to property tax exemptions which are available through the Chief County Assessment Office including:

If you have questions or need more information, please contact:

Nancy Lech
22385 W. Illinois Route 60
Mundelein, IL 60060

847.223.2858 (FAX)

Aid and Attendance is a special monthly pension that is awarded when a Veteran or surviving spouse requires the aid of another person to perform the functions required by everyday living. If approved, a tax-free, monetary award will be paid to the claimant on a monthly basis, which can be used to help pay for the cost of home care, assisted living, or nursing homes.

Since Aid and Attendance is considered a VA pension, eligibility for the benefit depends on the claimant’s military service, level of disability, and net worth. Claimants must meet all of the requirements in order to be approved for Aid and Attendance.

Click here to apply

World War II

A bonus of $10 per month for domestic service and $15 per month for foreign service is payable to a veteran who was a resident of Illinois at time of entering service, served at least 60 days on active duty between September 16, 1940 and September 3, 1945, and received an honorable discharge. Survivors are entitled to a benefit of $1,000, if the veteran's death was service-connected and within the period specified.

Korean, Vietnam, Persian Gulf, and Global War on Terrorism (Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom) Conflict Bonus

A $100 bonus is payable for service during one of the following periods:

  • Korea: June 27, 1950 – July 27, 1953
  • Vietnam: January 1, 1961 – March 28, 1973
  • Vietnam Frequent Wind: April 29, 30, 1975
  • Persian Gulf: August 2, 1990 – November 30, 1995
  • Global War on Terrorism (OEF/OIF): on or after September 11, 2001

The claimant must also be in receipt of one of the following medals:

  • Korean Service Medal
  • Vietnam Service Medal Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal Vietnam Era or the Southwest Asia Service Medal
  • Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal or the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal

The claimant must also be a resident of Illinois for 12 months immediately prior to entering service and have received an Honorable Discharge. Individuals currently on active duty who served in the Persian Gulf may apply prior to discharge by also including the Armed Forces Certificate (PDF, 16 KB)Download Adobe Reader

You can download a copy of the bonus application (PDF, 43 KB)Download Adobe Reader print it out, fill it in, and mail it to us.

The VA burial and memorial benefits program can help family members of deceased Veterans cover services such as funeral, burial and memorial costs. If you’re a surviving family member of a Veteran, you may be entitled to certain burial benefits.

Click here to apply

A United States flag is provided, at no cost, to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased Veteran who served honorably in the U. S. Armed Forces. It is furnished to honor the memory of a Veteran’s military service to his or her country. More information >>

The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Support for deaf and hard of hearing individuals is available.  More Information >>

Fremont Township is a member of the Diaper Bank Partnership of Lake County.  This service can provide 30 diapers per month (adult and child) to residents in need.

If you’re interested or need the following items: wheelchairs, walkers, electric scooters, power wheelchair, uplift chair, CPAP breathing device, or cemetery plots, please call the office (847-377-3344) for specifics.

Emergency Assistance is an annual assistance program that helps residents alleviate a life-threatening circumstance or to assist in self-sufficiency. Some circumstances may include eviction or past due rent or mortgage, utility disconnection, or prescription assistance. Applicant must be a township resident and meet the guidelines set forth by the Township Supervisor.

Veterans that find themselves struggling financially may be eligible for assistance through the VAC. If eligible, the VAC can provide payments for necessities such as past-due rent, mortgage, and utility bills. In addition to direct assistance, we also can provide contact information to useful services such as food banks and other charitable organizations.

Click here to apply

Fremont Township operates a food pantry which assists township residents who are experiencing financial difficulty or on a fixed income with non-perishable food products. You must be a township resident to receive items. The food pantry is open during normal business hours but the recipient should call to schedule a pickup time. We accept donations of non-perishable food items, paper products, cleaning supplies, toiletries, grocery store gift cards, and cash.

General Assistance is a monthly assistance program that assists with living expenses and may include medical assistance. Applicant must be a township resident and meet the guidelines set forth by The Township Officials of Illinois.

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Whether you want to apply your GI Bill benefits to college classes or an on-the-job training program, the GI Bill Comparison Tool will help you make the most of them.  You can also review the program pamphlet.

The Homebound State ID program is a service program for older adults, bedridden individuals and people with disabilities who are unable to leave their homes to obtain a state ID card from a Secretary of State facility. The card may be used for identification purposes in the same way as a standard driver’s license is used for identification.


Certain documents are required to obtain the card. Once an applicant submits the information via our web form below, we will determine eligibility and the documents required to complete the transaction. For assistance to help determine if you or your loved one qualifies for this service, call 312-814-3121.


Homeless Veterans Walk-In Center

The Walk-In Center for Homeless Veterans addresses the immediate and emergency housing needs of Veterans that are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
Building 131, Room 171


The mission of Lake County Honor Flight and the Honor Flight Network is to fly American’s Veterans to Washington DC to visit those memorials dedicated to honor their sacrifices. Top priority is given to America’s most senior veterans-survivors of WWII-followed by Korean & Vietnam Veterans and any veterans with a terminal illness who wish to visit their memorial. More Info

Peer support from vets who help connect Veterans with each other and with the resources and benefits needed.  They address Post-traumatic Stress, Domestic Violence, Emotional Issues in Children, Legal Issues, Traumatic Brain Injury, Substance Abuse, Mood Issues, Suicidal Thoughts, Depression, Anxiety, Hopelessness, Adjustment related to Deployment, Re-Deployment, Discharge or Reintegration, Grief, Education, Employment/Vocational Support,  Financial Support, Housing/Homelessness.  Call 847 986-4622

Fremont Township partners with Wauconda Township. Please call 847 526-2631 for wheelchairs, walkers, hi-rise toilet seats, etc.  They are located at 505 W Bonner in Wauconda.

Provides a safe comfortable, inviting environment where skilled Certified Recovery Support Specialists (CRSS) provide crisis intervention referrals and other needed services for guests experiencing a crisis. 

More Information

LIHEAP is an annual assistance program that helps with the high cost of winter heating.  You must meet the income guidelines.


Providing medical and dental services to U.S. military veterans, recruits, active duty, and eligible beneficiaries.

3001 Green Bay Rd., North Chicago, IL 60064  |  847-688-1900

(ISERVE) License Plates may be issued at no cost for the first set of plates to any U.S. Armed Forces veteran if 1) the veteran holds proof of a service-connected disability from the United States Department of Veterans’ Affairs; and 2) the veteran whose degree of disability has been declared to be 50 percent or more, but whose disability does not qualify the veteran for a plate or decal for persons with disabilities under 625 ILCS 5/3-616. More information  >> (Request Form pdf)

Provides FREE clothing, household items, furniture, food pantry, housing as available, employment assistance, Drop-In Center, and DIGNITY to our military heroes. ​Located at 2323 Green Bay Road in North Chicago, IL – they are just a few blocks from the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center and Naval Station Great Lakes, the Navy’s only Recruit Training Command Center. Phone: 847.354.2108. More information >>

Military personnel who live in Illinois have access to a special Nicor Gas benefit program. Assistance is offered to activated reservists and national guard personnel who reside in the company’s service territory. Qualified applicants or members of the military will need to provide documentation of their service to ensure eligibility. Call 1-888-642-6748.

This program provides energy assistance for NICOR customers only. You must meet the income guidelines and did not receive a LIHEAP grant in the same fiscal year. Please call Nancy Lech @ 847.223.2847 for additional information and to schedule an appointment or visit Nicor Gas Sharing Program.

If you need a set of your military records for any reason, you can obtain them by faxing or mailing a request to the National Personnel Records Center.  While they will accept a letter (if you get all the right information into it) it's best to use the standard form SF-180 to request it.  You can download the form at Standard Form 180.

Mail the completed form to: National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138 OR Fax the form to 314-801-9195. If you need the records in emergency circumstances, contact our office (847-377-3344) and we can help you expedite the process.

Register for the new Ride Lake County expanded service by calling the Pace Call Center at 1-800-201-6446

On May 1, 2022, Ride Lake County, a countywide, borderless paratransit service with flexible on demand service, geared toward seniors age 60+ and individuals with mobility limitations will be launched. 

Ride Lake County will provide eligible users of this public transportation option access to all areas of Lake County, for work, medical trips, groceries and more.

Riders will call a dedicated number to schedule trips in advance. All Ride Lake County vehicles are wheelchair accessible and provide curb-to-curb service from your desired pick up and drop off locations.

The new service will run from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. weekdays and weekends, with no service on holidays. One-way fare costs will vary between $2.00 and $6.00 depending on how far you travel.

For more information on the expanded service:

Ride Lake County brochure - English (PDF)            Ride Lake County brochure - Spanish (PDF)
Ride Lake County Rider's Guide - English (PDF)     Ride Lake County Rider's Guide - Spanish (PDF)
Ride Lake County poster - English (PDF)                 Ride Lake County poster - Spanish (PDF)

Frequently-Asked Questions (PDF)

To help maneuver state and federal benefits.  1755 Lake Cook Road, Suite 1409, Deerfield, Illinois.  Contact Pat at 847 948-6982.

If you qualify for LIHEAP or SNAP, you may be eligible to receive a free cell phone with 350 minutes a month.

Donors provide groceries or grocery store gift cards to make a Thanksgiving meal for less fortunate township residents. We have seniors and families to provide for. Please call if you would like to donate or if you would like to be a recipient.

SHARE-THE-WARMTH is an annual assistance program from North Shore Gas that helps with the high cost of winter heating. This program is for North Shore Gas and People’s Energy Customers who have an arrearage of at least $200.00. Please call 847.223.2847 for income guidelines and additional information.

New Horizons is a transitional living program for up to 20 homeless veterans.  It was formerly a hotel, and there are 14 efficiency apartments and 3 shared rooms. There are two tracks for participation in the program: 1) the Bridge program for residents who need short-term assistance while waiting for identified housing to become available and 2) the Service program for veterans who need three months or longer to obtain employment, save money for housing, address recovery and/or legal concerns, and complete other goals as needed.

Veterans Path to Hope
805 McHenry Ave., Suite D
Crystal Lake, IL 60014

Phone: 815-321-4673 (HOPE)


Disability compensation is a tax-free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury that was caused by, or aggravated by, active military service. You may qualify for VA disability benefits for physical conditions and mental health condition that developed before, during, or after service.

Click here to apply

The Veterans Assistance Commission of Lake County (VAC) provides services to veterans and their eligible survivors with Veterans Financial Assistance, VA Claims & Advocacy, Referral to the Lovell FHCC (North Chicago), Caregiver Relief Veterans Assistance (CRVA), and Referrals Assistance.

501 North Riverside Drive
Suite 106
Gurnee, IL 60031
P: (847) 377-3344
F: (847) 984-5750


VA Pension, or “non-service-connected disability pension”, is a program that is used to supplement the income of disabled Veterans or their surviving spouses. If eligible and approved, a tax-free, monetary award will be paid to the claimant on a monthly basis. All other VA pension programs, such as Survivor’s Pension, Housebound Allowance, and Aid and Attendance, fall under the umbrella of VA pension.

Click here to apply

To receive the “Veteran” designation on your driver’s license/ID card, veterans must obtain official certification from the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs.  You can do so by visiting their office with your DD-214 or completing the process by mail. More information >>

Helps our local unemployed U.S. Military Veterans and spouses find employment. Contact Mitch Siegel msiegel@catholic 782-4219. 

Also provides Ventra and Gas Cards to Veterans and Spouses of Veterans Enrolled in the Catholic Charities Veterans Employment Program of Lake County. Enrollment takes about 10 minutes.  Must be a resident of Lake County IL (including homeless residents) Provide DD214 (Military Separation Papers) Written proof of employment-related activity i.e. job interview or job start date.  VEP Brochure – 2017 (PDF)